Dear friends,
I will try to update this blog each night when I get back from the hospital. I only have internet access at the apartment I am staying at.
It has been about 48 hours since I got a phone call from Sam telling me he was going into brain surgery because there was blood in his brain. I remember that conversation so clearly; everything since then has been a blur. I am sitting next to his bed right now as he sleeps and I’m just trying to make sense of everything. I think my last email was a bit jumbled so for those who have not heard the whole story I will try to clarify.
Sam joined a football team about 2 months ago. He plays for a professional team in Wiesbaden which is 10 minutes from where we live in Mainz. There is one other American on the team; the coach and the rest of the players are German.
SATURDAY: The team traveled 5 hours north east to play a pre-season game in the city of Dresden. That is where we are now. Sam was playing football when this all happened.
There was no specific hit or play during the game that caused this.
(In fact, one doctor told us the bleed may have actually been there for a long time and it just got much worse during the course of the game on Saturday. We don’t know if a “long time” means weeks, months or years. I hope to speak with that surgeon soon.)
Sam was not feeling well (weak, head ache) towards the end of the game. With about 3 minutes left he suddenly felt very sick and told his coach something was wrong. Sam laid down on the sidelines and was in and out if “it” until the end of the game when they called the ambulance.
At the hospital they did a CT scan which showed them there was blood in his head. They immediately transferred him to a different hospital nearby because there is a special neurology floor. As soon as he got there the new doctor said he needed surgery right away. That is when Sam called me and told me everything.
By God’s good grace I was by his bedside within 5 hours. Naturally there is a volcano erupting during the time when I needed a flight more than ever. Trains wouldn’t get me there until morning but the Lord has given us dear friends here in Germany who offered to drive me to Dresden.
I have to take a moment to explain just how blessed we are. Peter at the institute where we live managed to comfort me enough so I could pack in the midst of my hysteria. He contacted our friends from church and brought me to them. Our friends Jen and Maren from Antioch church drove me through the night. Sam’s coach found me a hotel. Jen bought me a train ticket to last the whole week. Maren has brought us food and has driven me where I need to go. The Fulbright commission has called to offer any help as has the U.S. consulate in Germany. An American player from the Dresden team Sam played heard what happened and visited us and brought snacks and an English book. Sam’s brother Matt has contacted everyone he had phone numbers for and has been here for me as much as it is possible while in another country. Not to mention the endless prayers and encouraging messages from people.
So the surgery actually went better than expected. The bleed was smaller than they thought which meant they were able to perform a slightly less complicated surgery. They placed drains and tubes and his head to get the blood out as well as a sensor to monitor brain activity.
Okay, SUNDAY: Sam seemed to be doing okay. The blood was draining and he went through phases of being very lively and good spirited and then he would get a head ache or get tired and sleep for awhile.
Unfortunately he had an awful night. He didn’t sleep at all because his room was so loud (3 roommates) and the pain medication was not working. They cannot give him sleeping meds because it is a brain injury and they need to monitor him.
MONDAY (today): This morning was very, very tough. Pain meds not working and then because he had not eaten anything and was taking so many pain pills he got sick and was throwing up for a long time. Then he had no meds in him and so of course his headache was unbearable. Finally they gave him pain meds through the IV and he soon was able to relax. Now things are much, much better. They have controlled the pain for the most part and we are in a different much quieter room.
From what I can tell Sam is on track to recovery. The doctors seem pleased with the rate at which the blood is draining from his brain. I am looking at the bags of blood hanging from the bed right now. There is more than enough to fill up a wine bottle. The drains will remain in his head for another 2-3 days. Then we spend another 4 or 5 days at the hospital for monitoring.
This afternoon a doctor came to remove the sensor that was inserted into his brain. I can only assume that is a good thing. The doctor said Sam’s CT scan from this morning looked good. The bleed itself is smaller than yesterday. We don’t get too many details because I think the doctor can only explain so much to us in English. Some nurses speak a little bit of English. We try to speak German the best we can and it is getting us by just fine. I hope that when we leave for good they can provide a translator to make sure I get every important detail clear.
For now our prayer requests are:
-Pain management
-Sleep for both of us
-Quicker and better recovery than expected (I like to pray big)
-No unexpected complications
-No long term affects of this injury
-Just the daily details of my dealing with the whole situation while in an unfamiliar city and getting back and forth from the hospital and taking care of “business” things that need to be taken care of
-Praise for the care God has sent us through friends here in Germany
Sam just got up to walk to the bathroom and brush his teeth. He did great. Tomorrow he can wash his hair and shave. I hate to have to leave him at night. They actually took him of the monitor which of course should be a good sign. It just makes me so worried about him sleeping. I have to trust in God to watch him overnight (and the nurses, I guess).
Thank you to everyone who is praying for us. Believe me when I say, we are feeling the effects. Sam is doing better then should be expected and I could not be getting through this without the comfort I feel in knowing we have so many people who love us and are praying for us.
God is good and prayers work.
Hey Jamie! It's Chelsea- Emily's friend... Just wanted to drop a note to say that I'm praying for you guys, and am happy to read the promising update!
ReplyDelete