1116

Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Sinatra and clowns

Let me start by introducing you to our newest and highly adored purchase: Sam's hat!


We have been eyeing this hat for months and we finally decided it was a good time to buy. This is technically my Christmas present to him because we saved up money in December to travel with Scott. We actually ended up coming home with his birthday present as well. We saw a classy version of this hat, though in a spring/summer style, and we didn't want to risk it being gone by the time April came around.

Sam likes to clarify that the style he is going for with the hat is either a taciturn, weathered grandfather or a classic Frank Sinatra. But neither of these looks should be confused with the unfortunate modern hybrid which says, "He I'm young, uneducated, play the keyboard and will wear anything to get a girl, even my grandfather's hat." I'm a big fan of the hat on him, whatever look he is trying to avoid.

Moving on...


Karneval (the German holiday season introduced in an earlier post) is now in full swing! Parades march through the city EVERY Saturday, replete with full blown decorations on the streets and in the stores. Conversations have also moved past incessant Frohes Neues Jahr's (Happy New Year), only to be consumed by talk of which costumes one is going to wear in celebration of Karneval.

We went for a walk last Saturday and I took a few random pictures of the Karneval happenings in Mainz.










As you can see, Karneval colors are Red, White, Yellow and Blue. The mascot, if you will, is a clown (a bit on the scary side).

That's all I got for now but I am sure it will only get more intense leading up to that week of celebration during the 2nd week in February. I have been invited to go out with the other teachers from the kindergarten on "Frauennacht", a night when only the women go out and the men stay home (or so they tell me). If I go I have to find a costume...I have not made a commitment yet...

No comments:

Post a Comment