1116

Saturday, December 5, 2009

Zankt Gwoahhhhh

Saint Goar (pronounced Zankt Gwah) was a wonderful little town to visit for just one Saturday afternoon. The travel books were right; not much to see in the town but the gigantic castle overlooking Saint Goar makes it worth the trip.

Here is the "small" castle across the river.

Below is the ONE street in town with shops and restaurants. You can see the large castle in the background.


The shop with the most and the largest beer steins in the WORLD!!!
(or so they claim)
Here is the largest coo-coo clock to be mounted IN THE WORLD!!!
(or so they claim)


I took this picture for you, dad! Its "golfer teddy bear".

Here begins our trek through the vineyards to get to the castle.


Quite the view on the way up!

We made it!


So many great views from the top!



We're goin' in!!



This castle was ENORMOUS! Too many nooks, crannies, tunnels and towers to keep track of.


This was my favorite view! (double click to see larger)

Sam contemplated a way to get beyond the barbed wire...





Oh nothing, just hanging out in a castle courtyard.





Looking down on Saint Goar from the top.






On the way back down... Church and graveyard above town.


A very fun day except that I wore my new shoes for the first time. Bad idea on a day for hiking and walking. Good news is I broke them in and now they fit great. Glad we made the day trip!



p.s. Work is going well except that my immune system is not strong enough to fight off germs from 150 small children so I have basically been sick since I started at the kindergarten. The fact that I have been at my worst over the last two weekends is a blessing and a curse. I don't miss work but I also don't get to go out and enjoy Mainz with Sam. He has been so great at taking care of me and making dinner, grocery shopping and doing laundry. I'm one lucky girl!

No comments:

Post a Comment