1116

Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Things unique to Germany thus far

Hallo Freunden!

I thought I would compile a list of a few things that we have noticed thus far that are different from what we are used to in the U.S.

1. A great majority of people smoke. Everywhere.
2. 9 out of 10 cars we see on the road are hatchbacks. Usually VW, Audi or Mercedes.
3. No buildings we have been in have screens on the windows. Therefore, there are bugs everywhere, all the time.
4. Everyone drinks sparkling water, "mineralwasser mit gas". It is hard to get regular water in restaurants or grocery stores.
5. People do not smile very often.
6. Men wear capris. This one bothers Sam.
7. You have to pay for grocery bags so everyone brings their own.
8. You have to pay for a grocery cart.
9. The grocery stores sell things in different portions. All beverages in 1Liter bottles. Most food in small portions. For example we have yet to find a pack of lunch meat that would last us more then 2 days or a bag of chips to last more than a few lunches.
10. You do not have to tip the server when you go out to eat.
11. Public transportation is wonderful.
12. When people move they take everything with them. Including ovens, fridges, light bulbs-everything!
13. We have yet to be in a building with air conditioning!!!

That is all I can think of for now but I will keep updating as I realize more.


Well, the 5.5 hours in class each day is getting a little tough. We would rather be enjoying the great weather and exploring the city but we know learning the language is very important!
We were able to go on an "excursion" with the group of Fulbrighters on Sunday. We went to an open air museum about an hour from Marburg. It was an entire town of reconstructed buildings from the 15th century. We got to see homes, barns, schools and churches. The buildings were actually built in the 15th century but they were taken apart, moved to the museum and then reconstructed. It was very interesting to see how the people lived back then- simply!!!

You should be able to see the picture I posted of us with some friends in front of the windmill in the museum.

That's all for now. I'm going to do laundry and make dinner (how wifely right??)

Tschuss!

1 comment:

  1. That is funny, in Europe they think we are crazy to buy groceries for the week, because it is not as fresh. They go daily to the little markets. We are used to our SuperTargets :) I also encountered the same water problem, I love normal water and it was hard to come by. The carbonated stuff is gross! Fun to hear about your adventures!

    ReplyDelete